Friday, July 11, 2008

Gaining Weight

Ryan had his first visit with his regular pediatrician on Tuesday and he weight 8 lbs 11 oz, up from 7 lbs 13 ounces when we left the hospital, so he is definitely gaining weight which is very good. The best part of this is that it means I can nurse more and pump less which makes me very happy. I asked about getting Ryan vaccinated for RSV and the pediatrician said he would try, but heart kids usually don't qualify unless they are having trouble with weight gain. I was like, "are you kidding me, he had open heart surgery 3 months before cold and flu season starts and he isn't sick enough?". We may have a better shot if the issue with his diaphragm can be documented so I will talk to the cardiologist next week and am keeping my fingers crossed. My biggest fear at this point is keeping him healthy with two older brothers in the house, one starting kindergarten and one starting preschool.

We are all adjusting to life at home. We all went for a walk Monday night, Kyle on his bike, Grant on his tricycle and Ryan in the stroller. It was a very "oh my god, we have 3 kids" moment" but we managed to make it around the block.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brandi-
Give me a call when you get a chance. I sell Synagis (the RSV shot). I will work with you and your doctor and we can all work together to get an approval for the prophylaxis. It would definately help if the cardiologist would give you as much documentation of his recent complications as possible.
Hang in there!
Melissa Gray (Mason's mom)