Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Ryan Shares His Milk

I finally got to send my extra milk to the milk bank in Denver.  I was waiting to see my doctor to have my blood drawn to send with the milk for testing and that happened yesterday so today I went to Hy-Vee and got dry ice, came home, packed up the milk and then drove it to the FedEx drop off site.  It was close to pick up time so the FedEx guy was there and I think he was sufficiently freaked out about handling a large box covered with stickers that say "Frozen Human Milk - Handle With Care".  I also called the milk bank at their request to let them know it was coming and to look for it.  They said they would put it on the big board and let me know when it arrives.  I am still a little fascinated and in awe of this process and so grateful that I can take part in it.  In the beginning, I was so sure all of that pumping would be for nothing, that Ryan would never be able to nurse after being on bottles for so long, but I kept doing it because I guess I really didn't know what else to do.  At one point I asked my pediatrician if it was worth it and he said "Of course, if you can make milk you should".  At the time it made me really mad because I thought, "he has no idea how hard this is".  But now I am so glad he didn't let me off the hook.  Ryan is nursing and I have been able to share some of that milk I pumped with a baby or babies that may really need it.  I just feel so lucky that it all worked out this way.  I know lots of really good mothers who try their best and the milk just doesn't come or doesn't stick around long enough.

No comments: