Saturday, January 15, 2011

a volcanos victory

This didn’t make my earlier post on soccer, but I had to include documentation of Kyle’s team’s third place finish in the post season tournament.  There were I think 12 teams in his division and we ended the season in 6th, claiming an unlucky bottom seed in the top bracket of the tournament (they split the tournament into two).  Our first game was against the top speed the boys played so very tough, hanging in a scoreless game until well into the 2nd half and then scoring to everyone’s extreme delight (the usually mild mannered coach threw his clipboard in the air).  But the elation was very short lived as the well disciplined other team marched down the field to score on the very next play and then again a few minutes later.  I was so upset, way more then I should have been over a kids game.  I really don’t know how I am going to handle things when they get older and the stakes are higher.  They lost the 2nd game to the 2 seed later that afternoon (again 2-1 and well played), but came back the next morning to win in an 1-0 shut out, giving them enough points to claim 3rd place.  I was obviously so proud of them.  We celebrated with chili dinner at our house with a fire and smores and showing a movie one of the dad’s had made.  Very fun time and I was proud to host.  Most of these boys have been together since they were 4 and I know they are getting to the age they will start to do other things, so I was glad we had the time with them and the special party.

No comments: