Wednesday, June 18, 2008

News from Cardiology

The good news is that Ryan was completly off the O2 by 3 this morning and has had a great morning. Still breathing to fast to nurse or take a bottle, but I did get to hold him all morning. The other news is that cardiology wants to try to discontinue the prostins (medicine that keeps one pathway open) again. Apparently the prostins make the heart tissue more delicate and thus surgery more difficult. They believe that his heart is doing enough to pump the blood, but that his lungs like that of all newborns are not up to 100%. This time, we put him on O2 for awhile before stopping the prostins to try get his lungs expanded a little. So far so good. I will keep you posted. They have also indicated that they will wait until next week to do the surgery, which is more then we knew yesterday.

Thanks to everyone who has emailed or posted comments. Reading message from all of you is one of my favorite parts of the day. I just realized (or actually Jason pointed it out) that I misspelled our last name in the website address. I don't think I can change it and some of you may have it bookmarked, so I will just leave it as Straman.

7 comments:

Regina said...

So great to see all of the good news you are getting from the doctors! How wonderful it must have been to get to hold him so much today. All of us at preschool, will continue to pray for you all.
regina

Unknown said...

Brandi, Jason and Men:
Our congratulations for the newest member of your family!! We hold you all in our thoughts and prayers. Just know Ryan will overcome this bump in the road, as you all will.
Hugs from all of us in toasty Arizona!!
Davalynn, David, Kacie, Ben and Ashlee

Julie said...

Glad to hear everything went well with his test and the surgery should be straight forward. Do they have any idea what recovery will be like and when your new little guy might get to go home?

How are Kyle and Grant holding up? We are praying for you all!

haukapfamily said...

Yeah, Ryan! keep it up little guy. Maddie is very anxious for you to come home and talks about you a lot. We hope your mom and dad are hanging in there!

Mary Meyer said...

Brandi, I'm so encouraged by your reports. He sounds so stong and resilient. I'm betting he'll be fixed up soon.
I'll keep watching your blog, (what a great idea). Let me know if there is anything I can do. Your Mom has my numbers, so PLEASE call if we can help in any way.

Anonymous said...

Brandi & Team -

Great to hear the updates, and it sounds like each day is bring more positive news. We are thinking of you lots and look forward to further news!

Love,
Will, Britt, & Deni Reed

Sheila said...

I'm so relieved to hear things went well with the cath proc. Wow, you're gonna be a heart expert by the time he gets home. Geez, too smart for me! So glad you got to hold him a lot today. Oh by the way, Mason got afternoon kindergarten, how bout Kyle? We're keeping up the prayers for Ryan and can't wait to meet him!
Sheila