Sunday, April 12, 2009

Cardiology Checkup

Ryan had a check up with Dr. D, his cardiologist on Thursday of last week.  Everything looked great!  He had an ECG and an echocardiogram and held reasonably still for both.  I was really worried about him holding still for the echo, but he was mesmerized by the light up spinning toys they had in the echo room and only got fussy towards the end when he realized I was making them spin and wanted to do it himself but couldn't get his little finger on the little button.  After both tests, Dr. D came in and said everything looked great.  He said that they couldn't really visualize his branch pulmonary arteries, which is where narrowing could happen but that he wasn't worried about it.  He said he could tell us much by listening, which he did and said he heard now evidence of a problem.  If narrowing were to occur, it would occur over a series of years, so again he reiterated that he was not worried.  I believe him, but I think I will still request a copy of the echo report, just because I am curious about what is in it.  He gave us a little speech about treating Ryan like a normal kid, letting him run and play and fall down and I actually feel like I am finally at a point where I can and am doing that.  I told Dr. D that Ryan is the third of three boys and if he could look in our house at the things Ryan does/have his brothers do to him, he would not be worried about us treating him like he is fragile.  The other night he wanted in the bounce house with his brothers, so I let him and he loved it.  Kyle would bounce him up and down and he would just laugh and laugh.  When I tried to get him out, he just crawled away from me.  He wants to see him in a year, so this time next spring, when he is almost 2.
 
The picture is unrelated to the checkup, but shows his first experience with spaghetti.  He loved it, which is good, given that we eat spaghetti a minimum of once a week around here.

1 comment:

Boos Family said...

Yeah! That is such great news, and I'm sure a huge relief!!